Friday, January 23, 2009

Change!

I just noticed that it's been 2 weeks since I put anything on here. That's a really long time. Honestly, I just haven't had a lot to say. I know how shocking that sounds, I ALWAYS have something to say, but not too much lately.

The only really amazing thing that I have done lately is watch the Inauguration of Barak Obama. I thought that this event was truly amazing! I feel grateful that I am lucky enough to watch this amazing part of our history.




Truth: I did vote for Barak Obama.

Truth: I don't feel like he's "The Savior" of our country.

Truth: I didn't choose to vote for Obama because he wasn't Bush or McCain. My choice came from who he is, not who he isn't. Although, I really don't like Bush or McCain.

I feel like it's time for a huge change for our country. The attitude and mood of our country reminds me of when I was a kid. WAY BACK in the 80's. Personally, I'm sick of hearing about how crappy the economy is. I think if the STUPID media would stop talking about how crappy things are, they wouldn't seem so crappy. Maybe I'm wrong. It's time for attitudes to shift. It's time to see what we can do to make things better not just point the finger of blame.

Truth: I wouldn't want to be Barak Obama for all the money in the world!

Mr. Obama has just started the most stressful and difficult job in the world (other than being a parent, he was already one of those), being the leader of the free world. My friend Trish, who is from Ireland, and I were talking about the election, and she said that on election day, at a funeral in rural Ireland, they were praying about our election. This shocked me. I don't claim to be a world traveler, (I haven't even left Utah in several years, sad but true) but I think as Americans we don't realize how far reaching our country and influence really is. I mentioned this to Trish, and her exact words were: "You Americans have no idea how important you are, and how you effect EVERYTHING."

While I don't think that our new President should be looked at as "The Savior" of our country, I know that he will be blamed if things don't change. That's a ton of pressure! I have a very simple (and occasionally stupid) mind. The only thing that I can relate this to is my job, and yes, I know that being President of the United States is a lot different and much more important than running a retail outlet. But, Trish is the GM of our store. She can't do everything to make that store be what it's supposed to be, but if things aren't working, the buck stops with her. That's how I look at our new President. He CANNOT make all the changes that need to be made. It's impossible. But he can LEAD us to change. But there's that old saying: You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. I wonder if this will be true with our country. Are we all going to be willing to let someone lead us? Are we going to be willing to help and follow and lead when we need to? My Dad always told me that part of being a good leader is knowing when to follow. Are we, as a country, humble enough to do that? I know that the buck will stop with the President, and I think he knows that. Is there a more stressful job (other than being a parent)? Talk about having the weight of the world on your shoulders! I know I couldn't handle it.

I guess my question to all of us is:

"Are we all going to complain for the next 4 years, or are we going to get our hands dirty and do something about all this?"

I want to make it clear, that I don't think that Mr. Obama is always right. I decided a long time ago that questions are good. We should ask questions and be informed. I'm just so sick of ignorant people complaining that everything is so bad, and then do nothing to help things get better! I've heard people on the news say things like: "Now that Obama has won the election, he's going to make it so that I won't have to pay my mortgage, and I won't have to work as much!" I know this isn't very lady-like, but WHAT AN IDIOT!!! Everyone talks about change, but who really wants it? Change comes from hard, hard, hard work. It doesn't matter if your trying to turn an economy around, or trying to stop drinking so much Coke. CHANGE IS HARD!

So:

Do we have what it takes? Do we have enough focus and determination?

I hope and pray that we (as a country) have enough strength, self-control and vision to bring about true change.

"We have been told we cannot do this by a chorus of cynics who will only grow louder and more dissonant in the weeks to come. We've been asked to pause for a reality check. We've been warned against offering the people of this nation false hope. But in the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope. For when we have faced down impossible odds; when we've been told that we're not ready, or that we shouldn't try, or that we can't, generations of Americans have responded with a simple creed that sums up the spirit of a people. Yes we can."

~Barack Obama

1 comment:

Greg said...

I am excited for the new president, but I am nervous that he will lead us where we do not want to go. We the people need to stand up and do what we know is right.