Wednesday, April 23, 2008

A Mildly Amusing Story

Monday morning I went to my legalized torture appointment (physical therapy) and something happened that shocked me and made my husband laugh hysterically. Here's the story:

My physical therapy office shares equipment with Golds Gym. So I was out in the gym lifting some weights listening to Billy Joel on my ipod, when a semi-attractive man walks up to me, and starts talking. Somewhat annoyed I pulled out one of my ear-buds.

NOTE TO ALL THOSE WHO GO TO THE GYM REGULARLY: when you start talking to someone and they pull out only 1 of their ear buds, it means that they really don't want to talk to you and are just being nice. Unless the ipod is turned off, or both ear buds are removed keep your comments short, because we're really not listening anyway, and are hoping you'll just shut-up.

Back to my story. So this semi-attractive man is talking, and talking, and talking, and talking. Finally I have to turn off my ipod because he starts asking me questions. He finally asked a question that pretty much stopped the entire conversation dead in its tracks. Can I get your number? To say that I was shocked would be the understatement of the century. I had just "celebrated" my 34th birthday the week before (the term celebrate is used loosely). I hadn't done my hair or put on any make-up. I wasn't wearing nice clothes. I was wearing my glasses. And finally, I'm a person who feels like she never really grew out of the "ugly duckling" stage that we all must endure.

SIDE NOTE: If you don't believe in the ugly duckling stage, go look at pictures of Chelsea Clinton 15 years ago, then we'll talk.

When I told the man that I didn't think my husband and kids would appreciate me giving out my number, the gentleman apologized and told me to have a nice day. As he walked away, I was wondering, "did that really happen"? I debated with myself about whether or not it did happen for the next hour. When I finally decided that it did happen I was feeling pretty dang good!! So guess what I did? I did what most "normal" (again, the term is used loosely) woman would do and told a girlfriend and called my husband!!!

My friend said: Wow!! That's so cool! When that used to happen to me, it would sure make me feel good about my self. When I replied that I felt great, she said, well it also gave me a big head. That took the wind out of my sails a bit.

And then I called Greg, and you know what he did? He laughed. Hysterically. I personally don't see what's so funny about the situation. I would categorize it as a mildly amusing story, not down right hysterical. When Greg finally got himself together I reminded him, in no uncertain terms that, "...he should feel lucky that the woman that he's been with for 16 YEARS could have an experience like that." Then I hung up the phone. It's now Wednesday, and he started laughing again when I told him I had another appointment for legalized torture. He even told me to tell my boyfriend hi. He's funny, very, very funny. I went to my appointment early so that I wouldn't see the guy. I didn't and I'm so glad.

I've been told by single friends that the gym is a great place to meet somebody. Personally, I don't see how. When I go to the gym, I generally haven't showered before, I'm not wearing anything nice, in fact I'm usually wearing my ugliest, oldest clothes. I also wear my glasses, and I think that you'd have to be David Beckham or Carrie Underwood to even be considered "looking good" while you work out. But like I said, I'm 34 and have been with my husband for 16 years, so what do I know?

NOTE TO ALL MEN WHO GO TO THE GYM REGULARLY: The only time that a speedo is appropriate is if your qualifying for or participating in the Olympics. Unless you are going to participate in those events, please wear NORMAL swim trunks. Two overweight men came out of the sauna while I was in the pool, and I'm still sick to my stomach!!! So on behalf of people everywhere: YOU ARE MAKING A FOOL OF YOURSELF, AND MAKING EVERYONE ELSE SICK!!!!!!!!!! SO WEAR NORMAL SWIM TRUCKS! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

6 comments:

Greg said...

Ha, I am still laughing. There are 2 reasons that the guy was hitting on you....... #1 You are hot! and I will think of #2 later. (You know what I mean). Ha Ha. BTW...I still love, you but I have your phone number.

Betsy said...

Good to know about the IPOD tip. The gym has been one of the most eye-opening experiences in my life. It is also my Goliath in so many ways. Though over-all my life has been made better because of it. I so agree about the speedo's. I am saying this as still a large woman herself. There are certain swimsuits women like me should never be caught in.

Aly said...

I feel like I need to hide under the bench and put blind folds on my childrens eyes at swimming lessons. There is one kid that looks like Mr.Burns on Simpsons, Annie says he's so creepy in his swimsuit (green and yellow speedo)!! Speedo's should be against the law!! LOL!!

Aly said...

Okay Chuck here. There are certain things with sports that bring out the worst in us. For example Larry H Miller is the richest man I know that tries to fit in a medium polo shirt. Speedo's if you want to show your twigs and berries.... have at it.

As for the ugly duckling syndrome, the Clinton girl is still waiting to graduate out of the duckling stage. Ugly is still ugly.

So keep it simple and all you democrats vote for the Bro before the Hoe and ugly will still be ugly. You can check out my blog at www.wearemax.blogspot.com

Jill said...

I never said I was a democrat!!!

Heather said...

Good for you Jill. I agree with the speedo comment. NO ONE should wear them.

GO DEMOCRATS!!!!!