Sunday, April 20, 2008

The Pope visits the United States

Let me say at the beginning of this post: I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints aka: I'm a Mormon. I believe in the Gospel of my church, with everything that I am, and my faith sustains me, and carries me through the struggles of my life. That being said, I feel that I need to say something about the Pope's visit to the United States.

I spent part of my day watching the coverage of the Pope's visit over the last week. I must say, I was very moved. When I listened to the Pope's homily, and speech to the U.N. the 11th Article of Faith kept coming to my mind. It basically says that we as Mormons will worship God according to our own conscience, and allow others the same privilege. It seems to me, that basic respect is forgotten far too often by members of my own faith as well as other faiths around the world. Watching, and listening to the Pope this week reminded me of that, and I felt sad.

I also have been spending allot of time listening and reading speeches of President Gordon B. Hinkley, the prophet of my church, until his death this past January. The one thing that I can take away from Pres. Hinkley's words, is tolerance and acceptance. I am not naive enough to think that people of faith are always working for the common good. We are all aware that people have caused pain and suffering of innocent people in the name of faith and god since the beginning of time. When I learn of these events I shake my head and wonder how people can believe that God would condone this behavior. The God that I believe in loves his children, and that behavior, I feel, saddens God.

Religion has been in the news this month in other respects as well. The raid on the FLDS ranch in Texas. And the circus that ensued in our Court system was a result. I truly believe that people should be given the freedom to worship and live as they chose. However, I do have a problem when innocent people, particularly children, are harmed. I am not an expert, or claim to know everything about the raid, and the events that followed, but I do think that ANY claim of abuse must be investigated.

While listening to the Pope, the theme of his visit, it seemed to me, was that "faith strengthens you." In his speech to the U.N. he talked about peace, and basic human rights that are not being given to many people all over the world. He talked about the sexual abuse charges against many priests in the United States, and he did not just brush the issue under the carpet. He said that he prays for the victims and that behavior is unacceptable.

I feel that when it comes to religious differences, we only focus on the differences. I feel that we have more similarities than differences. When we focus on being different, we allow intolerance and even hatred. If we were to focus on similarities we invite peace and happiness.

The Pope leads a church of 64 million. If a person that leads that many people, can speak of faith, and happiness. Of being joyful, of allow faith to strengthen us, and how faith makes us better people, better families, better communities, and even a better and safer world we all should listen. That message said to me: strengthen your faith, become closer to God the best way you know how. And for me, that's becoming a better wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt, neighbor, friend, student and Mormon.

Faith means so many things to so many people. What does the Pope's message say to you?

3 comments:

The Wibergs said...

I liked your post Jill. I haven't listened to the Pope at all this week, but I enjoyed reading your thoughts. I have been feeling pretty bad for the FLDS folks too. How awful to have your kids taken from you because of a prank call! (of course, upon investigation authorities found reason to keep the kids in state custody) but how awful! That just makes me ache for them.

Anonymous said...

Ditto!

Betsy said...

President Hinckley came and spoke to us while I was on my mission. People treating one another was very much a theme on what he addressed. I had to recently give a Sacrament talk on Kindness. It was framed around one of President Hinckley's conference talks.

Here is an actual paragraph I used in my talk that sums up with the pope visit and the FLDS scandal.

"President Hinckley’s ability to reach out to all individuals in and outside of our faith was well-known. The First Baptist Church here locally in West Valley used part of their marquee to state “Condolences to the LDS community.” What a tribute to that man’s ability to build bridges with all people. Kindness was the virtue he used to build those bridges. One might in fact call kindness the wellspring in which all virtues spring from. It is hard to be merciful if kindness is not there. It is impossible to extend compassion without kindness being present. Charity which is the greatest of all is linked to kindness."

I got a news report where the the LDS community was being tapped as possible foster parents for these misplaced children. I find that interesting but it also made me wonder if a higher power was using this to rescue children. I believe when a 15 year old girl is married off to a 40 year old man. Using the banner of religion it mocks religions everywhere. Trying to use religion to justify evil is something that Gadianton Robbers had refined to an art form. It makes Elder Scott's last conference talk more relevant in light of the FLDS.