Saturday, May 10, 2008

My Mom Is No June Cleaver - And I'm So Glad!!!

With Mothers Day upon us, I would like to tell you all about my wonderful mother.

My Mom's name is Barbara Lynn. She graduated from Kearns High School. She met my dad at a Singles Ward! My parents have been married for 37 years this August. My mom has 4 children. My mom is from a small town. My Mom works for the State, and her job has something to do with teacher certification. My Mom lives by Cottonwood High School. My Mom loves my Dad very, very much. My Mom loves her children very, very much.

That's the basics, now let me tell you about my mom.

My Mom has worked my entire life. She said that after she had me (I'm the oldest) she even had to send me to daycare as a baby because Dad was trying to get through school. This is something that my mom has hated about her life. Mom always wanted to stay home with us, but was never able to. I think that this will be one of my Moms biggest regrets, this makes me sad. I know that my Mom never went to work so we could buy a boat, a bigger house, or a cooler car.

For a long time when I was growing up, my parents worked opposite shifts. Mom would work days, Dad would work nights. So, after work my Mom would race home to pick us up from daycare, and run home to start dinner and homework, she never thought she could help us--she said that she wasn't smart enough--but she is very smart. She smart enough to help us with long division, how to diagram sentences, she knew all the tricks to help us remember dates and people for history. But my Mom is really smart in all the things that matter the most. I know that you must think that I'm painting a picture of happiness and ease where everyone is happy, healthy, clean, and the house is spotless. That's not how it was. There were fights among the kids, and when I got to be about 12 there were fights between me and my Mom. We usually ate dinner about 8:30pm, and allot of the time homework didn't get finished.

For as long as I can remember, Mom's life has been about everyone else. Although, she has been known to stay in bed and watch "You've Got Mail" a few thousand times.

Right now, she's dealing with my Dad being sick. Dad's been sick for about the last 2 years, and things aren't going to be getting much better for a while. Dad has a liver disease, and he needs a transplant. The amount of pills that dad has to take everyday is astounding. Mom takes Dad to all of his doctors appointments. She recently went to Florida to a conference all about Dad's disease, so she could take better care of him, and learn about his disease. My Dad is still alive, but he's not himself anymore. My Mom and Dad have always had a strong partnership, and suddenly Mom is forced to make all the decisions on her own. My Mom is scared and frustrated. When Dad got sick, one of my biggest worries was how would Mom handle it. I think the strength Mom has shown over the last couple of years has surprised even her. My Mom is one tough cookie. To me, Mom is teaching me through her experience, how you can face the biggest and scariest trials of your life with grace. Mom's not always strong, she has her times that she cries, and asks why. But pulls through day after day.

In my last post, the was a real pity party (sorry, I really didn't notice until I read it today) I was told by some friends in my comments that: there are things that my kids need, and I'm the only one in the world that could give them to my kids. I feel that way about my Mom.

My Mom is not June Cleaver. Our house was never spotless, it had that "lived in look". Browned ground beef, peeled and cubed potatoes, onions and water is not soup and (I think) could be child abuse. The laundry was hardly ever completely caught up. Eating dinner at 7:30 was early. But Mom, to me is perfect the way that she is. She's nutty and hilariously uptight about some things.

My Mom is no June Cleaver, and I am so glad.

I love you Mom!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Betsy said...

It's amazing how the Lord seems to find the right mother for us. Best wishes that your father gets the transplant he needs.

The Wibergs said...

I know this doesn't fit here, but I wanted to send it to you. (I need your email address.)

Bishop Gustafson came to RS on mothers day & read part of a talk that Pres Monson gave at women's conference. I thought of you. So when I saw it again today I wanted to send it to you. You may have already seen it. I apologize for how long it is.

"Enjoy the Journey"

"Send that note to the friend you've been neglecting; give your child a compliment and a hug; say 'I love you' more; always express your thanks. Never let a problem to be solved become more important than a person to be loved. Friends move away, children grow up, loved ones pass on. It's so easy to take others for granted, until that day when they're gone from our lives and we are left with feelings of 'what if' and 'if only'...Let us relish life as we live it, find joy in the journey and share our love with friends and family. One day, each of us will run out of tomorrows. Let us not put off what is most important."

"Our mortal life was never meant to be easy or consistently pleasant. Our Heavenly Father, who gives us so much to delight in, also knows that we learn and grow and become refined through hard challenges, heartbreaking sorrows, and difficult choices. Each one of us experiences dark days when our loved ones pass away, painful times when our health is lost, feelings of being forsaken when those we love seem to have abandoned us. These and other trials present us with the real test of our ability to endure. A fundamental question remains to be answered by each who runs the race of life: Shall I falter, or shall I finish? To finish life's race involves enduring through challenges and trials to the very end of life itself."