Monday, November 3, 2008

GO VOTE!!!!

This past Friday Chris and I both had the day off, so I made him go with me to run some errands (I couldn't let him sit on his butt and watch TV all day). Well, I decided to vote early. We stood in line and waited for over an hour, but I'm so glad that I took him with me, despite the fact that he can be REALLY ANNOYING when he stands in long lines. Must be the age. I just turned on my IPOD and tried to ignore him and not be embarrassed.

We talk politics all the time at our house. We talk about issues that are important to us, from presidential politics to trying to get a stop sign put on our corner. One thing is certain: Greg and I disagree more than we agree. But I think it's important that our kids hear us discuss things, especially when we don't agree. It shows them that you can disagree and still love and respect each other. I have to admit though, the words "idiot" and "fool" have been said from time to time.

Anyway, I took Chris with me to vote (he's 13). I would STRONGLY ENCOURAGE you to take your children with you to vote when they reach an appropriate age. I really didn't want to take Chris with me to vote, but I'm so glad that I did. Because he started asking me questions. Important, thoughtful, intelligent questions. Questions that he would NEVER have asked if he hadn't seen the process in action. I guess it made it seem more real to him.

Since we've talked about voting, it's plain to see that he does tend to be more "Conservative" than I am. But, he felt like it was okay to tell me how he felt and what he thought. I will NEVER tell my children who or what to vote for, I will however strongly encourage that they vote.

I am really looking forward to the election. I have significant worries about our country; economy, education, health care, retirement, the housing market, crime, the war. I will say that I don't agree 100% with either candidate, but my views are closer to one than the other.

I can get so upset with people when it comes to politics (even though I try not to). Today I read a blog written by a friend of Greg's. She said that she has been told by some people that she basically needs to rethink her vote. I don't even know this woman, but this MADE ME MAD!!!! I've been told this before myself, I'm too "liberal" (for the record, I don't think I would have been told this if I were a man). One thing I know for sure is that MY VOTE IS MY BUSINESS, I can tell you what I think, but DON'T EVER TELL ME that I need to rethink things. You can however tell me that you don't agree and why.

Well, that's my soap box for today. GO VOTE!!!!

2 comments:

Aly said...

I am laughing so hard at you and Greg right now! My grandma and grandpa used to say that exact phrase to each other every. single. election.

I procrastinated as usual and voted the day of. There were no lines. Annie and Minnie went with me. I too would never tell my kids who to vote for...very interesting to see who (and why) they would vote for!

Chuck said...

I voted also, but did you teach Chris my short cut on how you can vote and post a better time than the person next to you?

I looked at my neighbor and smiled, then told him I won.