Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Now I'm just DISGUSTED!!!!

As you all know, I'm a huge baseball fan!!! I can't wait for opening day. But today, I've just had it with baseball!!!

The Yankees just signed C.C. Sabaitha (sp) to a 7 year 164 MILLION dollar deal. Excuse me but, WHAT THE HELL?

In the last few months Wall Street had to be bailed out by the government and now The Big 3 are begging for money, but the Yankees can afford 164 MILLION DOLLARS? For a pitcher that chokes in the post-season? Come on, really?!

I know that the Yankees and my beloved Mets have the most money to spend on "talent" but this is ridiculous!!

SIDEBAR: Greg, the Dodgers have one of the biggest markets in baseball, so I don't want to hear one word from you about my Mets! I bet the Dodgers spend big money this winter? For example: How much did they offer Manny?

It seems to me, that in an environment when people don't know if they're going to have a job in the next 7 months (let alone the next 7 years) that money could be better spent.

I get that sports are entertainment. I REALLY GET IT!! One of the reasons that I love baseball so much is that I can forget so many other things for a couple of hours. But 164 MILLION DOLLARS TO THROW A BALL? Also, how much money is Tom Cruise going to make on his new movie? Unfortunately, some of his paycheck will be my money, that movie looks really good!

The picture of entertainment is starting to make me gag!!! Brad and Angelina are living in (un)wedded bliss and NEVER look like they've been up all night with infants or sick kids. Jennifer Aniston is the perfect wife or girlfriend. Heidi Klum has never had plastic surgery (that woman has had like 3 babies, yeah right! She's just genetically superior! Some things genetics can't prevent. LIKE STRETCH MARKS!!) Nicole Kidman has always been the loving supportive (never angry or hurt) wife of an alcoholic. Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen have overcome anorexia. Roger Clemens really wasn't on "the juice". Stephanie Meyers has never had writers block!!! And A-Rod and Madonna are "just friends". GIVE ME A BREAK!!!

Another thing I understand is that many of these people do some very good things. There are tons of foundations and organizations to help the less fortunate, but this is turning into a joke.

But guess what? Sometimes we just need to escape!!! Sometimes we need to sit in a movie theatre, baseball stadium, basketball arena, turn on the TV, or read a good book. Sometimes life gets so crazy and nuts, that you just need to turn your brain off for a few minutes. At least I do. What I can't understand is how we worship and throw money at these people. I know that these people can do things that I could never do (watching a big league pitcher is amazing if you really think about it). I could never throw a ball, hit a ball, make a basket, sink a putt, write a book, and I feel like an idiot anytime a camera comes within 20 feet of me.

But what about the "average joe"? I know that things are tight at my house. We're cutting back on so much (we needed to do that anyway), and so are most of my friends. I have friends that have lost jobs and don't know how they're going to survive. I'm worried about my own job. Today, hearing about 164 million dollar deal, is just too much for me to handle!

All that being said, if I had to opportunity to play a game and get paid money like that I wouldn't say no. Would you?

2 comments:

Heather said...

You are 100% Correct.

Jenny said...

I agree with you too. (And as far as Angelina not looking like she's lost sleep...she probably hasn't. She probably is mommy when it's convenient and has a nanny for when it isn't. :)) And you're right, they do do some good things, but they should with all that they have. I think many others who don't make nearly as much money do some amazing things and have to sacrifice to do it.