Tuesday, February 24, 2009

My addiction to Facebook

I just realized something, it's been over a week since I put a post on here, but I've been on my computer constantly. Why is that? I am an addict. I am addicted to Facebook. And I don't really know why.

I like to have interaction with my friends and co-workers. I like to be proactive and talk with them when I chose to. I love writing my blog, but all I feel like I do is drone on and on about something that is usually unimportant and then wait for someone to comment. On most posts I only get 1 or 2 comments, and I get so disappointed. I really don't get how people can get so many people to comment on their blogs. One blog I read is call NormalMormonHusbands and his posts generate over 100 comments. Of course his blog is much more entertaining than mine, but I don't even think my mother reads my blog. Basically I'm saying: my audience is small and my interaction with them is very limited. I love facebook because I can go online and see what my friends are doing or saying about themselves, and then I can interact with them if I chose to. And I can see so many more people. I looked up my high school graduating class, and got to read about so many people from high school. I thought this was really cool, until I realized that so many people have accomplished so much, and I have really accomplished so little in comparison. I don't recommend look up old classmates, it can get rather depressing.

So, you ask what did I do tonight? I chatted with a good friend about everything under the sun, and wasn't limited by the telephone. I could get up and tuck Kolbie into bed, use the bathroom, and brush my teeth, and it didn't interrupt my conversation at all. It was great. And when I say I talked to her all night, I really mean it. We started chatting at about 6pm and I logged of after 10 because I had to go to bed (what a joke that turned out to be, it 1:25am and I'm still not asleep)!

Greg asked me Sunday afternoon if there was a 12-step program for people who are addicted to Facebook, and "could we find a meeting or something to go to". What a funny guy. Right now, I like my little addiction to Facebook. My experience has been great (other than looking up old classmates). So keep up with Facebook, I really enjoy it. And you may also comment here too, I really enjoy that. It lets me know that someone reads my ramblings.

8 comments:

Heather said...

I too like facebook. I find that I don't comment a lot but I like to look and see what people are doing and have done. I especially like the pictures.

Sarah said...

Hi, my name is Sarah and I am addicted to facebook. It has been 2 minutes since I updated my status. I change my profile picture at least once a week, and I collect flair! (It isnt just you Jill!)

Unknown said...

I haven't jumped onto facebook yet and probably because I know I will become addicted! Just wanted to let you know that even though I don't comment a lot on your blog, I always enjoy reading what you have to say.

Jenny said...

I have a love/hate relationship with facebook. i like it for the reasons you mentioned, but i like blogs better because i feel like you get to know people better. so much of what people put on facebook is pretty impersonal/silly that i don't feel like it lets me get to know them as well as blogs. but it is nice to have the interaction. anyway, i like reading your blog.

The Wibergs said...

Hey Jill. I've been a complete computer addict and have had to cut WAY back! I'm still checking your blog weekly, but facebook I have to stay away from--or I just get sucked in and suddenly 2 hours have gone by and I've done nothing productive. Yikes! (And I complain I don't have time. Whatever!) Glad you're loving it!

The Wibergs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pistolmom said...

I'm addicted too! Please check out these blogs and pass along, especially to the Men!!!

www.mytitleofliberty.blogspot.com
www.freedoms-fight.blogspot.com

Aly said...

I was becoming very addicted to facebook, but over the last week I have cut back considerably (kind of for the same reason Carin said...I need to get other things done). I enjoy reading your blog!