Sunday, March 16, 2008

Selection Sunday

I am not much of a basketball fan. In fact, I hate the NBA, I'll tell you why another time. But I find that I am actually excited that "March Madness" is finally here.

I did experience a bit of a let down after the Superbowl (WAY TO GO GIANTS!!!). Since baseball is not yet in full swing, (the kids have just started practicing) I'm really looking forward to the Tournament this year.

Like I said, I'm not a huge basketball fan, but I do have teams I love to watch, and love to hate.

For instance, I love watching Duke. I'm a huge fan of Coach K. (I'm not even to try to spell his name). I love to hate Kentucky -- they always seem to beat my Utes. I guess the thing that I love about watching the tournament is that I love watching people do things that they are passionate about. Coach K. is a great example. He found "his thing".You Know what I mean, the one thing that you know your good at, that you love, that makes you happy, that your passionate about. I think that everybody spends most of their lives trying to find "their thing" and very few people actually find it.

I'm looking forward to watching the tournament because for most of those kids, basketball isn't a job. These kids have amazing talent, and drive, and when I watch them play, I can tell they wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

Like I said, I believe that very few actually find "their thing". I know I'm still searching, but I haven't given up. I'm excited for the NCAA tournament this year because I love to watch people do what makes them happy. If you don't think it makes those kids happy, look at the faces of the losing team, and them look at the faces of the winning team. Watch the spectators, the moms and dad, girlfriends, boyfriends, roommates and families. You know that corny line "...the thrill of victory, and the agony of defeat..." I can't believe I just wrote that.

Sports is a culture, I love being a part of it (in the small way that I am). It's a culture of skill, talent, drive, practice, family and a million other things. Maybe that's why I like it. I know that's why I like college sports. For some it does turn into "a job". For most it doesn't. But you can tell they love to play.

My life does consist of more than the next sporting event, but this is what I want to talk about right now. More later.

1 comment:

Greg said...

Did your team make it? BTW, the giants stink and if you don't stop cheering for rotten teams I will have to..... well I don't know what I will do. You seem to think you know a lot about sports so join my fanatsy baseball league, or are you scared the Mets could not handle the truth!!!!