Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Why do we do this?

Every morning after I get the kids off to school I sit down at my computer and check my email and play on the internet for a while. Yesterday was no different. I received an email from a family member, which gave me a link to Facebook. On the Facebook site, there was a link that had something to do with Mormons. Being Mormon myself, I clicked on the link that sent me to YouTube. The things I saw on YouTube made me sick to my stomach. Literally.

Let me be clear. I am a Mormon and I truly believe in the doctrine of my church. There are certain things that I feel are sacred and do not and will not talk about except in certain circumstances. These things are not secrets, to me they are sacred, there is a difference. As Mormons we believe in Temples. The events that go on in temples and not secret, but they are sacred.

As I watched the videos on YouTube, they were not all disturbing to me. Mormons have their own culture, and I'll be the first to admit, we are a little weird. To me, it's fun to watch Mormons make fun of Mormons. Unfortunately not all the videos were lighthearted and funny. There were some videos about the Temple and what goes on there. To me, these things are sacred.

I was angry. Very angry. I just don't understand why we feel its necessary to do these kinds of things. Why do we try so hard to destroy someones faith? Why do we try so hard to tell someone that they're wrong?

There were several videos of a man from Australia who came all the way to Salt Lake to tell everyone that he hated Mormons. Well, that sure seems like a great use of money and time. I personally think that guy needs to get a life. Why does he care if Mormons actually believe in their church? In my opinion this guy need to find something productive to do. He says that he's atheist. I don't care as long as that works for him. What I do care about though, is why we feel it necessary to try and destroy something for someone that makes them happy and a better person.

Being Mormon doesn't make me an expert on religion, but I speak from my own experience. I don't care what other people believe. I really don't. The only thing I really care about when it comes to someone else's faith is: Does it make them happy? Being a Mormon can sometimes have a funny effect on people. I can't tell you how many times I've been heard:

"How many wives does your husband have?"
"Where are your horns?"
"How many kids do you have?"
"I thought Mormons dressed differently."
"I didn't think Mormon women were allowed to wear jeans."

I guess the point of this blog is: Why do we care so much about someone else's religion? I'm a Mormon, and that works for me. I feel it helps me become a better person. That doesn't mean it will work for you. Maybe if everyone would start accepting people for what they are we would all be happier.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's my question. If it pisses you off, why look?

Anonymous said...

I didn't mean to look. I literally stumbled onto it very innocently. I watch for a few minutes, got very angry, and didn't (and won't) look again!!!