Monday, June 30, 2008

Decisions

There are so many different things that I could write about today, and many of those things are so hilarious you'd laugh till you cried (Aly -- I'm still working on that t-shirt), but I feel like being serious.

I have a very serious decision to make over the next few weeks, and I'm stumped. I could use some help.

As you know, I've been dealing with some really serious health issues lately. The biggest issue is that I've had so many kidney stones and surgeries and procedures to repair or retrieve stuck stones I have pretty serious nerve damage. Long story short: I feel like I'm having kidney stones all the time, when I'm not. I still have tons of stones in my kidney's, but they have taken up residence and decided to not move for the time being.

The problem that I have is that I'm in pain from this nerve damage all the time. My life is not my own. I have to take pain medication everyday. HOWEVER! I am happy to report that I don't take the maximum amount of the pill and I can't wait until I don't need them anymore.

The doctor thinks that it's time that we did what's called Spinal Cord Stimulation. Basically, they put an implant in that helps control the pain impulses sent to your brain. The doctor puts leads into the space between the spinal cord and the back bone to control the pain impulses from certain nerves. The leads are attached to a devise that is implanted under the skin. I would control the devise by remote control depending on how bad my pain is. I think the whole idea sounds like something that you'd see in a bad sci-fi film.

It's a 2 part procedure to get everything all done. During the first operation they place the leads but don't implant them under the skin. Yep. They'd be sticking right out my back. They'd stay that way for about 5 days, until I go into the dr office and they remove them. IF the leads seemed to help, then they would take me back to the OR (and another IV-- you'd think they wouldn't bother me by now, but they do) replace the leads and implant the device.

I just don't know how I feel about having an implant in my body. I'm only 34. I don' want this to keep limiting what I do. I want (and need) to go back to work, I need to get this situation under control, but I don't know if this is the right way for me to go. The idea of an implant and something inside my body creeps me out. I don't know how I feel about any of this.

There are things on my bucket list that I want to do, but I don't know if I'll be able to with an implant. Like run a marathon. I know it sounds stupid, but I don't know if I can give up certain things just yet.

If there's another way to get things under control I'd better find it FAST!

5 comments:

The Wibergs said...

If it makes daily life pain free I don't think the marathon or other bucket list stuff really matters. (Those are just fun things we'd LIKE to do--not that we HAVE to do.) If you're living with constant pain you can't do things like that anyways. What choice do you have? Do it and maybe have some relief or don't and, what? Are there other options? Or do you just continue on like you have been? It's a daunting choice, but I'm sure you'll make the one that's right for you.

Sarah said...

You have to ask yourself, Is it more important to do the things that you want to do or the things that you have to do. You have to not be in constant pain. You have to be able to enjoy the time you spend with your family. You don't have to run a marathon. You dont have to be super woman. If being in pain keeps you from the things that you have to do than the thing you have to do is whatever it takes to make it go away.
I am in a lot of pain a lot of the time too. I know it isnt as extreme as yours is but at one point I had to decide what it was worth sacrificing in order to not be in pain. You have to decide what is more worthwhile to you. Doing the normal everyday things, or doing the thing that you just dream of.
In my case I was glad just to be able to pick my child up when she was crying and comfort her and not be so focused on being in pain that I was of no use to her. I know that was a big run on sentence. I hope that made some kind of sense to you. Let me just say that the thing that helped me make my decision the most was prayer.
It is a big choice and I dont envy you, but I am praying for you!

Aly said...

I thought that the people on the video made the implant seem very promising. But I'm not the one getting the foreign object put into me.

Is that Sarah from our ward?

Greg- I have tried numerous times to leave a comment on your blog. Every time it asks me to sign in with a MSN account. I don't have a MSN account, I tried using my dad's and apparently I don't know his correct password anymore.

Sarah said...

No this Sarah is one of Jills old high school friends.

Katie said...

Hi Mom I thought your blogpost was very good. I hope you feel better soon!!! I love you!!!