Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Playin' Polly Pockets, Makin' the All-Star Team, and Goin' to a Bees Game!

I've decided that I need to spend more time with my kids so when Kolbie asked me if I wanted to play Polly Pockets I couldn't refuse. I spent the next hour on the floor in the family room with Kolbie and her Polly Pockets. I have very few memories playing with toys (or doing anything else) as a child, so I didn't really know what to do but Kolbie was a great teacher. We talked about what outfits Polly looked best in, and what was "bad" fashion. I asked Kolbie why she liked playing with Polly Pockets, and she said "I like playing with my friends, but this time I like Polly Pockets because I'm playing them with you Mom." Wow! Since being sick, I've spent a lot of time looking back. Wishing I had done something else, or been someone else, but I'm sick of it!! Obviously Kolbie wasn't wishing that I was anyone different. She accepts me even though sometimes I'm not the best mom. You know what? Kolbie tells me all the time that I'm the best mom ever. I never believe her because of my insecurities, but maybe I'm just what she (and the rest of my wonderful family) needs.

Last Saturday was closing ceremonies for Chris' baseball league. He was very, very nervous. Last year, despite his best efforts (he had a pretty significant slump towards the end of the season) he didn't make the All-Star team. This was a first for Chris. He was heart-broken, and as his Mom I was mad. But that was a year ago. Greg and I had known for about 3 weeks that Chris had made the team, but we decided to not tell him. We wanted him to find out at closing ceremonies. When they announced the team, I loved that huge smile he had on his face. He's so proud of that cheap trophy. But the best part was after closing ceremonies. It was announced that there would be a meeting for players and parents. I told the girls to stay up on the bleachers, and I went out on the field for the meeting. I walked up to Chris and gave him a big hug and told him how proud I was of him. I turned around when I heard some yelling behind me. The sound was my girls running, full steam ahead, toward Chris yelling: "YOU MADE IT, YOU MADE IT, YOU MADE IT!!! WAY TO GO!! I'M SO PROUD OF YOU!!!" The girls came running the jumped into Chris' arms. Watching that, both Greg and I got a little teary. Greg and I have been criticized about how much time we spend at the ball park, but let me tell you something: We have spent allot of time at the ball park. As a family. During that time, my kids have become each others biggest fan. They console each other when something doesn't go right, and cheer for each other when things are good. Chris went and cheered for his sisters, just like the girls cheered for him. That time spent at the ball field is happy time, with a few exceptions that revolved around one or two individuals. I love the memories and friends that we've made at the ball park (either baseball or softball). Watching that on Saturday showed me that my kids love it as much as I do!

I asked Greg what he wanted for Fathers Day, and he would always tell me nothing. Until he announced that for Fathers Day he wanted to go to the Bees game as a family. We all thought that sounded great, so we got tickets and headed to Franklin Covey Field last Saturday evening. We all had a great time!!! We ate nachos, churros, ice cream, popcorn, burritos (Greg had a burrito! At a ball game! I'm a purist! Burritos at a ball game? Come on!) and drank soda. We cheer and argued about calls. There were some amazing hits, and amazing plays (there was one at the plate that was pretty great), and we had an amazing time. We watched fireworks and the kids ran the bases. Greg got obsessed with what the grounds crew was doing, and learned he needed to listen to his wife more, she's very wise. And I sat and watched it all, completely amazed with my family. We got home late, and missed Sacrament Meeting, but we had a great time!

I sometimes don't thank God enough for my little family, but I adore them all. They give meaning to my life and who I am. I don't mind being known as Greg's wife and Chris, Kate and Kolbie's mom (but I do need to be acknowledged for my own accomplishments sometimes). I thank God for the blessing of my family. I must have done something right sometime in my existence to deserve them. As the kids grow up, I sometimes wish I could go back and do some things different (I'm told that this is normal) but I love the age they are right now. The evil monster call "TEENAGE DRAMA" is starting to show up more frequently now, but that's okay. We'll work through whatever he dishes out. I guess the point of this blog is: I ABSOLUTELY ADORE MY FAMILY!!! My sexy husband, and my beautiful, smart, funny, amazing kids!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jill you are a great Mom. All you have to do is your best, that is great you played with kolbie, thats the best. We love spending time as a family at the ball field also. I'm going to miss the ball field and I'm glad we both get to go to the All Star games. Our friendship started at the ballfield and so did the boys so if you ask me the ball field is a great place.

Heather said...

I have to agree. you can make MANY friends at the ball field. If that is where you choose to spend your time, the more power to you. Kodi loves to go to the ball field to play with the other little sisters there.

The Wibergs said...

I love it when my kids want to play with me too! (when I'm in the mood--what a sad, but true statement!)

I hope I'm not the person that you feel critized you for spending to much time at the ball field. I don't understand it (baseball), and have compared the time other kids spend on sports to the time my kids spent in therapy a few years ago. In a way it was my way of fitting in & understanding a little better. You all went to practice, then games each week. We went to games (our sessions) 2x/week, and had practise daily at home. (What a dork I am! I was a little jealous can you tell?) It wasn't only your famiy or your kids, but the collection of people I've met who are avid ball players. But it certainly wasn't meant as a criticism! I don't remember who I told that to, but in case that's what you heard & I'm the one that hurt you, I thought I should apologize.

K, this is much sappier than what I like! So, glad you had such a fun day. See ya!

Aly said...

WOOHOO!!!! The Jill we all know and LOVE it back!!!!!!!!! I am so glad that you are finding happiness in the simple things with your family!!!!!!! And WAY TO GO CHRIS!!!!!!!!

Sorry I went a little !!!!!!! crazy on that comment!!!

Katie said...

WOW!!!!! Thank you so much mom!! I love you too!!!!