Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Movies and DVD's

Yesterday, my son spent some time with his friends watching DVD's. He is now begging me to either rent on my Netflix account or buy the DVD Space Balls. He is still laughing at all the supid humor of that movie. I guess this brings me to the topic of DVD's.

A couple of days ago I starting watching the Band Of Brothers series. I'm seriously hooked. Infact, I've already begun watching the mailbox because the next installment is supposed to show up today. I get 2 DVD's at a time and I'm also expecting the first disc in Starter Wife. I have to get a comedy to go with something so serious.

I'm a big fan of Word War II stuff. I know it sounds morbid. I have my Grandfathers Army Jacket hanging in my closet. I want to frame it and hang it in our family room. I love reading books and watching movies (obviously) about WWII. Greg thinks I'm morbid.

My Dad has a saying when it comes to movies. When asked if he like a movie he says:"...well, it didn't change my life." That's Dad. But I think that movies have the ability to maybe change our perspective. I'm not saying that every movie I've watched is a life changing experience (like I've said before sometimes you just need to turn off your brain and be entertained) but some movies can have an impact. Here are a few for me: Saving Private Ryan, Shindlers List, and Hotel Rwanda. I know, I know, all of these movies are rated R, but ALL of my children will watch them with me long before they're 18. Band of Brothers and many others are on this list as well.

Anyway, getting to the lighter side of the subject. Watching movies and DVD's has become a huge part of our culture, and a right of passage for many. Do you have a friend that can quote most of Monte Python and the Holy Grail? I do. Who remembers the first time they saw Steel Magnolias and cried for an hour? I do. Who did you see E.T with for the first time. How many of you saw Ghost on a first date and wished that pottery wheel would just blow up? Did you stand in line to see Harry Potter?

Allot of us even plan our lives around the release of certain movies. For me, I'm going to try to get my husband to take me to see "Wanted" this weekend. James McAvoy is one of my favoirte actors. An action flick is a little off the beaten path for him, but I've got to see it. I'm already planning my trip to see "Twilight".

I love going to the movies. Infact, I've been known to just go by myself. Greg makes so much fun of me because of this, but I always tell him that going to the movies isn't exactley an interactive experience. Which is why I never really like going to the movies when I first started dating someone. To complicate matters, my husband HATES going to the movies. He's turned into his father by saying: "...there's too many people..."

I don't think he's forgiven me for taking him to see Sex and the City, even though we watched the TV show together. When we got our seats, I ran to the restroom, because I wasn't going to miss one second of that show, and the 3 women that sat behind us started talking to Greg. He thought that they were hitting on him untill I reminded him that they probably thought that he was my gay best friend.

Anyway, love 'em or hate 'em movies have become a huge part of pop culture. Some movies I hate, and fell that their existence on this planet is offensive, but others I couldn't live without. I can't even name my top ten, I guess it would depend on the genre. Here's a list of a few:

Atonement, Anything James Bond (I love Daniel Craig as the new Bond), all of the Bourne Movies, Star Wars (all six), While You Were Sleeping, Bridgette Jones (I and II) White Christmas (I watch this all year), Singin' In The Rain, Band of Brothers, Notting Hill, Princess Diaries (I & II), Hotel Rwanda, Saving Private Ryan, Shindlers List.

The list goes on and on and on.

6 comments:

Aly said...

We watched all of the Band of Brothers over a couple of weeks...I dreamed I was a soldier in the war EVERY NIGHT!!!!

Space Balls? I think I remember that one!! I watched it a lot as a kid...I think.

I laughed out loud on the comment about Greg being your gay friend:)

Our house pretty much revolves around all of the new movies coming out...this weekend WALL-E, we will be there for sure:)

Betsy said...

My brother is like King of the DVD's I am not exaggerating. If it is out there he will find it.

Greg said...

Ok, I am not gay!!! I will admit I went to Sex and the City to see the women in the movie. I thought there might be a chance to see boobs. I like to go to the movies, It is just that some of the movies you pick are not my style. No things blowing up, boobs, or ..... Well what else is there! Just kidding, I will go to a movie anytime.

Heather said...

We love movies! It is a game in our family to quote lines from movies and then ask what movie it came from. When we play with my dad, there is usually money involved.

Be sure to tell you gay friend to relax. We all still love him.

Aly said...

I am glad that Greg isn't too shy about the boob factor!!!!

Chuck said...

Greg is there boobs in the movie?