Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Why Argue?

Today at work I made a comment to my friend Brooke that I wanted to buy my kids each a "VOTE NOW!" t-shirt (they are only $5 each--don't worry Greg I didn't buy them!) She gave me a funny look and asked: "Are you going to vote?" I replied immediately with: "OF COURSE I'M GOING TO VOTE, BROOKE! I always do!" She smiled at me and asked: "Who are you going to vote for?" I could tell that the minute she asked me this question she regretted it. But I honestly replied and told her that: "I'm going to vote for Obama." She looked relieved and smiled and said: "Good! Me too!" Then we started talking about politics a bit.

Anyway, the point of my little story is this: Why do we get so worked up about politics? I know that the reason why Brooke looked so uneasy when she asked me who I was going to vote for is because she didn't want to start a political debate. There are people that I don't mind talking politics with, like my friend Chuck. He and I rarely agree on anything political, but it's fun telling him that he's wrong. I HATE to talk politics with Greg, however. Greg and I don't see eye to eye politically and sometimes it makes me angry! I don't know why I can't just let things go when I talk to Greg about stuff like this. Now, I just don't bring it up. And if he asks me something political I just shrug my shoulders and try to ignore him. I've finally decided that when we talk politics we argue, we don't debate. And no matter what he says he's not going to change my mind about anything, and I'm not going to change his mind, so why argue?

I was wondering if you could help me with a little "project" that I'm working on. I've been reading a book called: "Beyond Belief" by Josh Hamilton a baseball player that play outfield for the Texas Rangers. I'm trying to talk Greg into taking me to see the Rangers play for my birthday coming up this spring. So if you could, would you all please tell Greg what a LUCKY guy he is for having a wife that asks to go to a baseball game for her birthday and that he should just fork out the money and take me to Texas this spring? I know I've stooped pretty low to ask for you to put pressure on Greg like this, but I REALLY WANT TO GO!!!! And I could use all the help I can get. I'll post more about the book later. Thanks!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Have you heard about voting early? I voted yesterday and didn't have to wait in a long line.

Jenny said...

I think I'm going to vote early too. It sounds like a great idea... they are predicting that the polls will be unusually busy this election.