Friday, July 11, 2008

"MY DAY WITH DAD" and "HELP US, PLEASE HELP"

I had the opportunity to spend the day with Dad and I feel that I have some things to update. First of all: I had a WONDERFUL TIME. I always do when I spend time with Dad, he's amazing.

Anyway, when he woke up this morning, it looked like we might be having really tough day. He had an errand to run that he didn't want to go and do AT ALL and he didn't feel good. His head seemed really foggy. I was even a little bit nervous to take care of him alone. I really hated feeling that way, this was my Dad for crying out loud. I just didn't know what to expect.

Well, Dad and I drove in silence to run his errand. When we got to the distination, Dad quietly got out of the car, and was directed to where we needed to be. He quietly walked into the office, signed some papers, quietly thanked everyone for their help and assistance, and quietly left the building.

After kissing Mom good-bye there was more silence in the car as we drove to Smiths to pick up something for us to eat for lunch. Dad was his regular self when it came to what I wanted for lunch. He made it pretty clear that not only did he not want me to starve, but he wanted to make sure that I had anything I wanted. I thought that was very sweet, that was the Dad that I grew up with. There were also a couple of times that I had to just keep my mouth firmly shut (something I don't do very well) and let Dad take care of some things. Like: self check-out. He doesn't like to be disturbed:>

We got back to the apartment we both ate breakfast (we were home befor 9am) and I gave Dad his first dose of medication. By the time came for he second dose he was doing much better. His head didn't seem to be in the clouds as much. Infact, he started bossing Benjamin and myself around the apartment -- we moved furniture. By the time we were done: the living room furniture had been moved, the entire apartment had been dusted and vacumed, the kitchen had been cleaned, and some of Mom's papers had been "gone through". So: I feel my day with Dad went well. By the time we left this evening Dad seemed much better. He discribed it as: "...my head has come down from the clouds."

Before I left, I went and gave Dad a hug and kiss and thanked him for letting me come up to hang around. I told him I had a great time. In my opinion any time I can spend with my dad, is time that is absolutely well spent. I told him I'll come up again next week for at least 1 day. He told me that would enough time for him to figure out another long list of chores.:>

One thing that I learned today was that things are not perfect and aren't what we'd hoped, but we adjust. In my opinion Dad's disease is progressing much faster than anyone anticipated. It totally sucks and is really SCARY!! The one person I am in total awe of when it come to this crappy situation with Dad is Mom. I always thought my mother was an amazing woman, but watching her go through all this with dad while having to try to answer questions and concerns of 4 children and 4 children -in law and 9 grandchildren takes her to a different standard. My Mom Rocks!! I know that sounds juvenile but that's the only way I can think to describe her right now. My Mom is amazing!!!

One concern we all have right now is raising money for Dad's medical expenses. We were given several gift baskets at Dad's Retirement Party for us to sell. Greg has placed it on Ebay the link is on the post from July 6th. If you all could help us put the word out we would all really appreciate it. This first basket has tickets to the Steve Miller Band concert. Like I said we have several other baskets and more are being donated daily, so if you'd be interested in donating something to add to the auction, please let us know through this blog. Also could we all please put the word out that we have these items to sell. They were all donated and Mom and Dad could use as much as they can to pay for medication, doctor, and hospital bills. I KNOW THAT WE CAN MAKE THINGS HAPPEN TO REALLY HELP DEAL WITH THE BILLS, so any little help or idea please let us know asap.

1 comment:

Aly said...

I am so sorry that things are progressing so rapidly with your dad. I will see what I can do to put the word out on the baskets.