Monday, September 8, 2008

Adventures In Reading

Tonight Kolbie and I were reading Ramona The Pest ,we were on the bottom bunk reading and Katie was on the top bunk doing her reading. Kolbie got stuck on the word Beezus (the nickname of Ramona's older sister Beatrice). And Kolbie said:

"Beezus? It sounds kind of like Jesus!! Funny!!!"

Then we heard from the top bunk:

"Mom, I think Kolbie is related the Ramona. She's a pest too!"

This made me laugh hysterically. Kolbie can be funniest kid I know. Getting Kolbie to read can be very difficult. In fact, the only way that I can get her to read without a fight is if we take turns. She reads one page, I read on page. The thing that I love the most about reading with Kolbie is just the time I spend with her. Kolbie is a cuddler, and she loves to cuddle and read.

After reading Jenny's blog about Michelle reading it really got me to thinking about Kolbie and her struggles with reading. Her teacher last year told her that if she didn't start reading better then she would fail the 2nd grade. Who tells a 7 year old that? I never really appreciated how much the traumatized Kolbie until this year. She told me that she doesn't want to hear her teacher tell her she's going to fail again. As terrible as it was for her to hear, it lit a fire under her to do better. So it's not all bad. Looking back, I wish I would have stood up to her teacher a little more. Who tells a second grader that they're going to fail at least like that?

That's all for today.

By the way, did you know that when you call Dominos to order pizza, you call a call center? FYI...

4 comments:

The Wibergs said...

Didn't know that about Dominoes---have you tried ordering online? I love it! You track your order from when it's placed, prepped, in the oven, boxed, and delivered. Yep, I'm a Dominoes fan.

Jenny said...

i'm sorry that Kolbie had a bad experience... second grade seems young to say that, although i must admit i have told a couple of my (third or fifth grade) students the same thing. as a teacher, i would be very careful about who i said it to and when and why. i've had a couple students that i knew it would motivate... but most it would just upset and hurt. it depends on why they aren't reading. anyway, i know that many parents stop reading aloud to their kids once their child learns to read on their own, and i can understand why (primarily time) but it's very valuable to read to/with your child as long as they will let you. i'm glad you and Kolbie take turns... that's a great strategy.

is kolbie liking ramona? i loved those books as a kid (especially the mouse and the motorcycle). if kolbie can read that at the beginning of 3rd grade then she's doing fine. that's a solid, middle of third grade book.

other great third grade reads... magic tree house books, Amber Brown, Because of Winn-Dixie, Spiderwick Chronicles, Frindle...

Jill said...

Kolbie really like Ramona. I'm glad, maybe we've found a series of books that can keep her intrest.

Aly said...

Max, of course, would tell you why there is no need for pizza delivery if you have the Pancake Puffer!

Kolbie is a hoot! I don't think it is bad to take turns. Like Jenny mentioned, it is good for her to hear you read to her. Annie's curriculum requires, above and beyond the standard everyday lessons, that she read to herself and that I read to her as well in addition to everything else:)