Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Livin The Dream

16 years ago this month Greg and I got engaged. It's official: I'M OLD! But being old does have it's advantages. Like being able to look back at you life a little. Honestly, this is something I find myself doing a lot since my kids have decided to grow at warp speed.

So anyway, I've been looking back. I started thinking about the things that I wanted when Greg and I were dating.

First, I wanted a husband that loves me. I got even better than that! I have a husband that loves AND adores me. He tries to act all macho about things, but Greg has picked me up off the floor when things have been down, and let me shine when things are up. I am truly blessed to have him. I love him so much.

Second, I wanted children. I wanted smart, happy, loving children. I lucked out there too: because I got smart, happy, loving, beautiful, caring children. My only real complaint is that I wish they would stop growing so fast.

Third, I wanted a home. Well, we have a home. It's not my dream home, but it's ours. The kitchen is too small and it's a little torn up right now, but it's home.

Forth, I wanted a career. Basically I wanted something that I'm good at that will work with my family, and again I've been blessed more than I deserve.

I was talking to a friend today and it really hit me. I'm living my dream. Is it perfect? No. Most days it's not even pretty!!! The checking account is always too low, and the bills are always too high, but I've been blessed. The blue Mercedes that I wanted to drive when I 18 suddenly isn't as important anymore. It's funny how life can feel so complicated and then so simple. I've been blessed. I have a happy life. Sometimes life does throw me that curve ball, or even a change-up but I do what we tell Chris to do when he's playing ball: SEE IT, AND ADJUST!

6 comments:

The Wibergs said...

I love it when suddenly it dawns on you just how good things are -- and you're right, it's the simple stuff that makes it so good.

Glad to hear you're living the dream. (When you figure out how to manage the dream house, the higher balanced accounts, and the WHITE Mercedes that I still happen to lust after, fill me in!)

Aly said...

I am glad to see that you are having a positive outlook again:)

Greg said...

PDA's ---- Come on Jill, I cannot have that. J/K.....Things are not great, but they are better than living on the street and cheering for the METS! .... Well, at least you have half of it down.

Jill said...

I have to life with the embarrassment of my husband flying the Dallas Cowboys or the UGLY Dodger flag. He makes up for it with his U of U flag.

Sarah said...

it is a good thing when you finally realize that some things are ment to be dreams (fancy cars) and that sometimes reality is better! Glad to hear you are happy!

Betsy said...

Congratulations to you and Greg...