Monday, September 22, 2008

Time To Lead

Today at work, my boss Trish sat down and talked to me about what I need to do with the Logistics team. She talked to me about what I need to do to show the team that I'm in charge, and I'm the one they will have to answer to. The entire conversation made me feel uncomfortable. I worked at the Jordan Landing store before I got promoted, now I'm back and there are members of the team that were my friends (and some that weren't) I haven't talked to these people in almost a year, but I'm very nervous about being "in charge". There is one woman that I did not get along with before my promotion, and I'm a little nervous that she's going to give me a lot of grief.

As I think back to my conversation with Trish, I think she felt that she needed to give me permission to be in charge. Her exact words were: "You need to be large and in charge." She said that being a leader is part skill, part knowledge, and putting on the "jacket" and just being a leader. I'd never heard of being a leader put like that. I guess it's just time I quit worrying about people liking me and just went to work. I know that I can do this job, I just need to stop thinking so much and get to work.

Side note: Trish did ask me how my pain was. I told her that it's still there, but I'm doing okay. She told me that she supported me, but she has high expectations for what I can do. I told her that I didn't want to be defined by my health issues. She said she understood, but didn't want me to over do it either. I really like Trish, she's the best boss I've ever had. She's really smart, funny, and has great style. She also makes me laugh. I wish I was more like her.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Trust in yourself. You can do it! Sometimes people aren't going to like you being their boss, bu you will do a good job. Go for it!

Aly said...

Trish does sound like a wonderful person! I love it when incredible people like that come into our lives, and we can really learn from them, and have admiration for all that they do. What a great experience to be working with such a great gal! It's nice that she has such confidence in you, and that you will be successful...I am glad that you like your boss, can't get much better than that (she is the only one that matters if they like you, the other people don't provide your paycheck!) Your gonna do great!