Sunday, September 7, 2008

American Entertainment Reaches New Low

My family watches TV on Sundays. We probably shouldn't, but we do. Why? Because football is on Sundays. Greg and I were watching a game today on Fox and they started advertising for a new show call Hole In The Wall. It's a game show. A really stupid game show. The idea of this show is a wall made of styrofoam with shapes punched out of it moves toward the contestants. The contestants make the shape that's in the wall without falling into a pool of water or making a bigger hole. Who ever thought this up came from the shallow end of the gene pool. One of the contestants said that the greatest acheievement of their life was laying on a couch watching TV for 80 straight hours! What an achievement. Did that include bathroom breaks?

I know that American entertainment has really hitting the bottom of the barrel but this is terrible. My family does watch Wipe-Out every Tuesday night and we laugh the entire time, but that's the point of a show like that. I still don't really know what the meaning of Hole In The Wall is. Things have gotten so bad on TV that people will do almost anything to win money. The worst part of this show (other than the terrible outfits that the contestants wear) is that there are 2 hosts. One man and one woman. The man stands up just before the wall starts moving and shouts: Prepare for the Hole!! The job of the woman is to stand there in a really short skirt, flip her hair, smile, flirt with the losers on the show and be very, very, very annoying.

TV has gotten so bad that I generally watch movies now. I don't know what I'd watch without our Netflix subscription. TV has gotten so pointless. I really don't want to watch people acting like fools for money. But I guess that's what TV has always been about.

I remember listening to a John Bytheway talk about TV. He encouraged people to not watch TV for 30 days and see what happened. I don't know if I could do it, I love watching sports too much. Could you stop watching TV for 30 days?

4 comments:

Aly said...

Yes, I could easily stop watching TV for that long...I rarely watch it now.

Jenny said...

there would be a show or two that I would miss, but i could do it. now, giving up reading for 30 days... that might kill me!! :)

Jill said...

Could you guys keep the TV off completely? No Barney, or Wiggles?

Greg said...

There is no way I could not watch TV for 30 days. I like the sports way too much. Giving it up means NOTHING!!!! I will admit I could not do it. I will tell you waht Jill, you give it up and I will take over our TV. I would like to know how many TV's everyone has in their home. I cound 3 and a portable DVD player makes 4.