Friday, September 19, 2008

I Am So Tired!!!!!

I know that I sound like a baby, but I am so tired! I've gone back to work this week -- I only worked 20 hours -- but I'm totally exhausted. I've forgotten how much work it takes to make one of those stores run.

Yesterday, I worked with the shipment team for the first time and I had a good time. There are some new faces, but some old friends too. My main job is going to be supervizing the shipment team with my friend Cleber. He's an intresting guy, and keeps me laughing most of the time. Anyway, it's going to be my job to make sure that we get everything done on time, and that the store looks like it's supposed to look. I know that sounds pretty simple, but corporate has very high expectations of what each store should look like.

I've said before that my job isn't very glamours or meaningful, but I have fun when I'm there. Old Navy has also given me a chance to set goals and achieve things I never thought I'd be able to do. I never thought that I would "be" much of anything away from my family, I didn't really think I had what it takes to achieve much in the workforce so I never really set my sights very high. I know that this must sound really stupid to most people, but I really enjoy what I do.

I am having a hard time right now. The first few weeks in a new store is always hard. Every store is a little different, you have to learn how things work and get to know new people. My General Manager, Trish is someone I respect a lot and I want to show her that I can be successful. I think right now my biggest problem is confidence and feeling overwhelmed. I know that I can do this job, but I just haven't gotten into the groove yet.

Believe it or not I think my family is happier (most of the time) when I'm working. I know that it takes a ton of pressure off of Greg financially. And the kids seem to really like me working. I think they like to have me home too, but I just tend to be a happier person if I can get out of my house for a little while. And the kids love the clothes. Kate and Kolbie even ask to go and see "my store" and meet my "work friends". Part of me feels bad that I'm not the "happy homemaker" that so many of us women strive to be, but Im happier when I work and so is my family. Things aren't perfect, working does make life more complicated. Trying to get everyone where they need to be when they need to be there is a challenge. Greg is so great about helping with as much as he can. When Greg finally realized how much I enjoy my job, I haven't felt like he thinks his job is more important than mine. He's even had to call in once or twice when we had sick kids. Greg's support means so much to me.

I have to weekend off but I'm planning of going and helping my parents get ready to move so it will be a tiring weekend, but I plan to relax on Sunday. Monday is going to be difficult there is so much to do. We're re-training the entire shipment team (to prepare for the holiday season), we have a decent sized shipment, we have to move half of the store around, and finish about a million other things. I'm only working 4 days next week, so hopefully I won't be too tired.

4 comments:

The Wibergs said...

One week down and you're still enjoying your job. Yay!

You sound like you keep apologizing for your lowly job. Stop it! It's not sub-level employment and you LOVE it. You don't need to explain away why you're not an executive in an office. Just tell it like it is (good day/bad day/tired/or energized) and we're all going to keep coming back to read more about how you're doin! ;)

Greg said...

You know, I am the fashion guru of the family and I really like the clothes you can get us at very discounted prices. I still have the levi jacket that cost what $2. You do a good job at Old Navy, stick it out and work hard. The right people will always notice the hard workers.

Aly said...

That's great that your family is doing better, glad to hear it!

Heather said...

Way to go Jill. I am happy to hear that work is going well. Don't feel bad about being the perfect little homemaker. My family does better when I work also and we run smoother.