Saturday, August 9, 2008

Best Calling In The Church

I have decided that I have the best calling in the church. I'm a Mia-Maid advisor, and I love it. For those of you not familiar with the church, I teach 14 and 15 year old girls. I consider it a privilege to be associated with these kids. In short, they are amazing and I learn more from them than I could ever hope to teach them.

I wish I could say that I'm good at my calling, but I'm not. Like so many other things, I've got a lot of room for improvement. For instance: I don't work on my lessons nearly as much as I should, and I don't go to the activities (we have weekly activities) like I should. One thing I can tell you is that I love those girls, and think about them everyday.

My sister-in-law, Jaylynn is the Young Women President (she basically heads up the program), and that puts some pressure on me to try to do a good job. I don't want to let her down. Since I've been in this calling I've gotten to know Jay better, and I really like her, and enjoy being around her.

One thing about my calling is that when I prepare my lessons I really try to follow the Spirit, but sometimes when I do that I feel like the girls are just sitting there staring at me, and aren't really into the lessons. I don't get it. Maybe I'm the one who benefits, maybe the direction is for me. What do you think?

3 comments:

Greg said...

10-4 Jill, the teacher always learns more than the students. Plus when we serve we have and chance to step out of the our normal lives and try things we might not have if we wer not forced. I think it is the way the Lord prepares us to advance.

The Wibergs said...

I've been people watching lately in church. Have you ever noticed how bored people look in classes and especially in sacrament meeting? They don't always look like they're paying attention, but then afterwards some of those same people talk about what was said. So apparently they're getting it. But Greg's right...teacher always learns most.

(I've always heard the YW is the place to be!)

Jenny said...

Greg, I love that your photo is a baseball! Too funny. But that's not what I wanted to say.

I read this last night and was going to comment and then got interrupted and didn't.

Your lesson today was especially good! I thought the spirit was there and I loved the whole puzzle object lesson. You made me feel motivated to do a much better job studying the scriptures.

I know that often the teacher gets more from the lesson than those listening. I remember teaching Relief Society a couple of months after I was called to be in the presidency. I really worked hard on my lesson and felt the spirit so strongly as I was preparing it. I remember crying as I wrote the lesson because I felt the spirit so strongly. But when I actually gave the lesson, I didn't feel like it went so well. Maybe it did touch some people and I just couldn't tell... or maybe that lesson was just for me and others that I gave later (that I felt good about, but not as strongly) were for others. But I know that you can't always tell when others are listening or really feeling the spirit. And I know that often it is the comments made by others, not even the teacher, that often touch me the most. That's one thing I think is great about our church is that all of us are encouraged to participate and so many of us receive callings to teach. It helps us all of us to learn.

I know the young women are listening and learning more from you than you think.

I've said on my blog before how much I love our girls. The young women aren't perfect, but I am so impressed with them. They have strong testimonies and amazing spirits and I often feel that they do more for me than I do for them. They are so willing to love and serve one another and they love the Savior. I, too, think we have the best callings in the church. (Although, I truly loved being in the RS Presidency too.) I love how callings allow us to stretch and grow and get to know people that we wouldn't have otherwise. Some of my closest friends in the ward have become my friends because we have served together somehow or have visit taught each other.