Monday, August 4, 2008

Gross!


This little monster is my Pain Control Implant Device. When things are all done, it will be implanted into my hip, but for now it's coming out my back. I went into surgery on July 31. They didn't knock me out all the way, but they gave me medication so I don't remember anything.

This thing was inserted into the Epidural Space (between my backbone and spinal cord) and blocks pain impulses from going to my brain from my right flank (right side, lower back). This machine is a miracle for me. It really helps, I'm not 100% perfect, but I'm feeling much better. I told my Mom last night that I wasn't sure if I was going to get it implanted. Greg and I have talked, and I am going to have it implanted. The thing that was holding me back was fear. They still won't knock me out totally and that scares me. They'll have to cut me open this time, and that is scary to me.

I'm going to the Doctor tomorrow and he's going to remove the leads. I'm really excited. I can't wash my hair without help, and I can't take baths or showers. I do get cleaned up, but I want to take a bubble bath. Having this thing hanging out of me is uncomfortable, and painful. I've also been bleeding on and off since Saturday. AND IT ITCHES!!!!!!!! I've been taking Benedryl off and on since Saturday night.

Enough complaining!! The benefits of this little wonder is: NO MEDICATION!!!!! I will be able to stop my pain medication!!!! That is such a big deal for me, since I've had problems with medications in the past. The idea of not being on medication is like a dream. Kolbie said: "...so Mom, you'll be able to drive us places like other moms?" Yep that's exactly what it means! I have to admit that comment did bring out some guilt, but oh well. I'll be able to go back to work and do something for a change.

Please remember me in your prayers (thank you if you have been) so that I can get this thing implanted without complications. I want to be be "like other Moms".

Sorry if the picture grossed you all out!

3 comments:

The Wibergs said...

That picture was TAME. No gross outs here. Now peel off that bandage and it's probably a whole different story!

Chris James said...

that is cool and mom what is an epidurhal?? I hope you feel better Chirs

Jenny said...

yeah, i gross out fairly easily and that pictures wasn't bad at all. (when ella had her heart surgery and we first went to see her in icu after it was done, I nearly passed out from seeing the drain tube draining all her blood. instead of standing next to her and holding her hand and comforting her I had to sit in a rocking chair with my head between my legs.) you're in my prayers!