Friday, August 1, 2008

Update -- So Far So Good

Just a quick post to let you all know that I'm feeling pretty good after my placement surgery yesterday. I feel like a pin cushion. They couldn't get everything to work in one try so they had to make several attempts before things went into my back the way they wanted. They ended up using a 14 gauge needle (that doesn't mean much to me), so if you know what that means, please let me know. All I know is that it's a big needle.

I'm happy to announce that the pain I was experiencing before the surgery is being controlled very well by this device. Basically I feel an "electronic" buzzing in my back and legs. Apparently the nerve that is causing me so much pain, is right next to the nerve for my legs, so that's why I feel it in my legs as well. It's interesting though, because the sensation is different depending on the way I'm sitting or laying. I turn my head and the feeling is different. It's really cool.

There was a rep from the implant company that was there yesterday, she helped me program the device. I asked her if she has met the guy who invented this thing. She said that she had, and he's a sweet old (97) man, who is very sweet and humble. I told her if she ever saw him again, to give him a big kiss right on the lips for me. She laughed and said that she hears that a lot. I'm amazed that there are people that are smart enough to create things like this. We are all so blessed to be able to benefit from their work.

Anyway, so far so good. I'm going into the Dr on Tuesday to have the "leads" removed and to talk about what the next step is. I'll let you know more then.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

modern medicine really is amazing! i'm grateful for all of the things they can do now. i'm glad that so far, the implant seems to be working and helping. is the buzzing feeling in your legs annoying or uncomfortable or is it okay? keep us updated.

Jill said...

The buzz in my legs just feels weird and annoying. I can still walk (thankfully), but it just feels weird!