Tuesday, August 12, 2008

My Dad



This is a picture of my Dad, he's one of the best people I know. I think he's amazing!

As a kid growing up, my dad worked allot of funky shifts. He wasn't around as much as he wanted to be, but I never doubted how much he loved me, my mom and my sister and brothers. He has always been devoted to our family, even when things got difficult.

When I was in about 6th grade my dad when back to school, to get his teaching certificate. If someone were to ask me to describe my dad, I would have to say that he's a teacher. My Dad is one of those people fortunate enough to find something that he does well and loves and turned it into a career. Growing up I always remember that my dad's calling in church was Gospel Doctrine Teacher. I remember having people comment on what a great teacher my Dad is. I remember feeling so proud of him. My Dad finished school and started teaching 6th grade. He spend the next 15 years or so teaching elementary school.

I just got off the phone with Dad, he's concerned about my upcoming surgery. He called and wanted as much information about the procedure as possible. I thought that this was very sweet since Dad's not feeling to well lately himself.

Growing up over the years, I turned into a Daddy's Girl. My Dad turned into a trusted friend, I've told Greg that I hope he and our girls can have a tight bond like I do for my Dad. One thing about my dad is that he has never put up with all my crap. He's the first to tell me I've done a good job, but he's also the first one to tell me to get over myself and to stop acting like such an idiot. I guess the thing I love about my Dad is that he sees me for who I am, and what I can become. He tells me to stop my bad behavior and is my biggest cheerleader when I do something great.

I talk to my Dad almost everyday. I call to see how he's doing. My dad's illness (Primary Schlerosing Colongitis (sp?)) has changed so many things for our family. But it hasn't changed how I feel about my Dad. My Dad is my hero!! Who's yours?

3 comments:

Aly said...

What a sweet post for your pops! Dads really are the best!

The Wibergs said...

Sweet post, and I always love to be inspired and be reminded of it later on. So your post struck a chord with me.

I've got several heroes. Way to many to list and they frequently change, but my Laurels advisor takes the cake for me.
A-mazing! Had 5 kids, 1 died young, 2 severely handicapped, & 2 pretty typical boys. Her husband had some serious mental stuff going on, killed himself, and left her to manage all that, plus the family business. You know how you can see light in people's eyes? I swear hers are so bright it just amazes me! She's always been so in tune with the spirit, I am in awe of how she can maintain that as a constant. She's remarried since I left home, and her son Jeremy (the more disabled of the 2) died a few years ago, but she's still raising her 40+ year old daughter.

Sarah said...

My kids are my heros. They were each under two pounds at birth. Anyone who can live through that and fight as hard as they did to stay alive is worth some hero worship.