Wednesday, August 20, 2008

My Breaking Heart

Over the last few months I've been reading a blog called Baldy's Blog. It was written by a 26 year old man that lived in England who was dying of Lukemia. I went to his blog today, and read a post entitled: Adrian Passes Away. And my heart is breaking.

Adrian had a bone marrow transplant, and went into remission, but unfortunatley his cancer returned. He decided against any major treatment, so the fact that he has passed away isn't much of a surprise. But why does my heart hurt so much, for a man I never met or even talked to in any way?

Adrian had spent the last few months of his life trying to get the English government to teach about bone marrow and organ donation in public schools. This is something that I can appreciate since my dad is currently on a list for a liver. The thing that struck me the most, is that this man knew he was going die and chose to spend his time trying to make things better for other people who are sick. How many of us would have "stuck our head in the sand", and just spent our remaining time with our families and friends? I know that I'm not strong enough to do something like he did.

I guess the most we can really hope for at the end of our lives is that this world was made a little better because we were here. Adrian taught me lots of things, but I guess the thing that I will remember most is: use the time you have wisely, and we can all make a difference.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. Many of whom helped Adrian with his petition to the governement. I think that I'm going to find our if I can be a bone marrow donor, I don't know if I can because of my health issues, but it's worth my time to find out.

Thank you Adrian!

No comments: